When you prune something, you take out the unwanted or dead parts of it to allow room for growth. If you start to get anxious because your website is losing traffic and certain rankings, then maybe there’s too much content or links that are unwelcome.
Therefore, it’s advisable to reach out to the experts and ask for help before buying a website. Not only does it save you time, but it also helps you identify which ones to cut back.
Today, Gert Mellak and I touch on the value of pruning your content if you are intending to grow your website. We present ways to audit a website before even buying one during your diligence period. As we dive into the long-term SEO strategies on-page and off-page, we also bust some myths and common beliefs about SEO. Above all, we uncover the things to do as you prune your website and recommend outstanding SEO tools to use.
You will have the tools to understand SEO pruning after listening to this episode. Don’t forget to subscribe, tune in and learn more valuable lessons about buying and building online businesses!
Why SEO Pruning Is More Valuable Than More Content
What is an SEO Audit?
- It’s a complete diagnostic of the website’s current situation.
- Checking the history of a website.
- Doing a Full Link Audit.
The Power of SEO Tools
- Gert recommends SEO tools such as Ahrefs and SEMrush, Link Detox, and LinkResearchTools.
- The main things to check:
- What the site is about
- What the traffic is doing lately
- These tools give you an idea of the evolution of organic traffic over time.
The Negative SEO
- When your competitors create anchor texts to confuse Google.
- PBN links on your website are a kiss of death.
The Value of Link Detox
- It is taking out all the bad links that are there.
- Google doesn’t only consider the first level source of your link, but also how this first level source got their authority.
- It’s okay to have a very high detox risk.
- Don’t take out the detox risk in isolation of a single site, see it in a broader space.
The Best Thing to Do When Buying Websites
- Don’t add more things in.
- Join similar articles.
- Get rid of things that don’t work.
- Niche down.
- Check for duplicate content.
SEO Practices: Long-Term Strategies
- On-Page SEO
- When producing and publishing content, it must be tailored to a certain purpose.
- Content gap analysis – do Keyword Research.
- Check where your competitors get traffic from.
- Create internal links.
- Don’t overdo content, create a hub page to boost rankings.
- Revise content rather than consistently adding new ones that aren’t helpful.
- Gert believes that it’s best to review content not only in terms of relevance but also in terms of what Google expects.
- Trust Google results because it is the main source of information to RANK.
- Test your website speed.
- Off-Page SEO
- Don’t make too many articles yet only have a few relevant ones.
- Make sure your articles have authority and use external links that can convince Google of its deserved ranking.
- Always choose quality OVER quantity.
- The higher the quality of links linking into your website, the BETTER.
SEO Myths Busted
- External links will always help your rankings.
- E.A.T. is a basis for ranking.
- Meta keyword tags help you rank.
- You need to always update your site.
Gert Mellak is an amazing SEO expert in today’s time. Being in the industry for over 19 years now, he has worked for companies of all sizes – from local repair shops to international brands such as Regus. He started his career in the digital world as a developer.
Self-taught in web programming, he mastered web development and e-commerce pretty quickly. One of the legends in the SEO field, he is completely centred on developing and implementing SEO consulting and search marketing strategies for the long-term.
If you want to be an expert at doing your due diligence, we’ve got the right resources for you and they’re totally FREE! To grab them, just click here. Be a part of the Buying Online Businesses Community and learn more about buying and building online businesses.